Friday, January 21, 2011

Valuation-Informed Indexing - Preliminary Results





Update: I made a new and improved version for the contents of this post here.

This original post was merely a very rough initial draft of the analysis.
In the update, I based the analysis around a 50/50 asset allocation. Here it was centered on 60/40. The result here was that a valuation-based asset allocation strategy provides more wealth for 102 of the 110 rolling 30-year periods, while buy-and-hold did better in 8 of the periods. 
If you are interested in the subject of valuations, I have published several research articles, all of which should be fairly understandable without a deep mathematics background:

Pfau, Wade D. "Safe Savings Rates: A New Approach to Retirement Planning over the Lifecycle."  Journal of Financial Planning. Vol. 24, No. 5 (May 2011), 42-50.  [blog summary]   [story about the article from The Economist


 Clicking on the article title will bring you to a page from which you can download a .pdf draft version of the paper.
 
Thank you for visiting and please consider an email subscription to my blog. The link is on the right.

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't think using rolling periods is proper here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lumpr: the results are based on the total stock returns, which includes dividends.

    About rolling periods: I understand there is some debate about this. I think rolling periods is definitely an improvement over existing studies which seem instead to track how an investment made in 1871 would be doing today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for giving the information. I too had recently hired a valuator for my property and they have provided me great service by doing good valuation.
    http://www.valuator.com.au/commercial-property-valuations/ | www.valuator.com.au/commercial-property-valuations | commercial property valuation | property valuers

    ReplyDelete